Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has announced a compensation of Rs five lakh each to the kin of the deceased and Rs 50,000 to all the injured and the government will foot all their medical expenses.
MUMBAI (Agencies) — Rescuers found 14 bodies and pulled out 11 survivors as they began winding down operations at the site of a dilapidated building that collapsed in Dongri area of Mumbai, an official said on Wednesday.
23 persons have so far been rescued, many of them injured seriously, reports IANS.
Bijendra Dahiya, a National Disaster Response Force official, said workers were still looking for two to three people feared trapped in the rubble.
Dozens of rescuers worked overnight at the site where the four-story building collapsed on Tuesday, fire official Ashok Talpade said. The survivors included a child who was treated at a hospital and allowed to go home. Others remain hospitalized, Talpade said.
Dahiya said it had taken more than 24 hours to clear most of debris as the lane where the collapse occurred was too narrow for rescue vehicles. Most of the equipment was carried by hand and people also formed a human chain to remove debris.
Heavy monsoon rains fall in India from June to September, causing severe flooding and collapsing poorly built and dilapidated structures.
At least four other collapses have occurred this month in Mumbai and another western city, Pune, killing at least 31 people. On Sunday, a building collapse in the northern town of Solan killed 14 people.
Maharashtra state’s top elected official, Devendra Fadanavis, said the building that collapsed Tuesday was nearly 100 years old and 15 families were living there.
Talpade said the families had stayed after being asked to leave. Waris Pathan, an opposition lawmaker, said the building was a death trap, with authorities saying they had no money to rebuild the structure.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Wednesday announced a compensation of Rs five lakh each to the kin of the deceased and Rs 50,000 to all the injured and the government will foot all their medical expenses.
The Chief Minister also convened a high-level meeting of all concerned departments to discuss the building crash and pin responsibility.
On Tuesday, Fadnavis and the Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA) had announced separate probes into the disaster.
This building crash has become the second biggest disaster of the monsoon season this year.
On July 2, the compound wall of a BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) reservoir in Malad east crashed following torrential rain that night, killing 30 so far and injuring around 100.