Missing Najeeb Ahmed’s mother Fatima Nafees and brother Mujeeb at a protest seeking recovery of Najeeb. — File photo

Caravan News

NEW DELHI: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Thursday told the Delhi High Court that it was seriously considering filing a closure report in the missing case of JNU student Najeeb Ahmed.

The case was handed over to the federal probe agency in May 2017, about nine months after the Delhi Police failed to crack the case of October 2016. First-year post-graduate student Najeeb disappeared from the university campus on 15th October 2016, day after his scuffle with some other students, allegedly affiliated to Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), the student wing of RSS-BJP combine.

The CBI has hinted to file a closure report in the case even as Najeeb’s family told the court that the nine accused students in the case have not yet been interrogated by the investigating agency. On its part, the CBI told the court that till date its probe has not found any evidence to show any crime was committed, nor did it find any material to arrest or take coercive action against the nine students the family suspected to be behind his disappearance.

Senior advocate Colin Gonsalves, appearing for Najeeb’s mother Fatima Nafees, told the court that the nine suspected students were named in a complaint by 18 students who were eyewitnesses to the assault on Ahmed on 14th October 2016, yet they were not interrogated by the probe agency. On this, the court asked the CBI to make a compilation of the statements given to it by the 18 students as well as the three wardens and three guards who were in the hostel on the day of the incident. The court said it will go through the compilation to see what the eyewitnesses have said in their statements to CBI.

The agency had sent three mobile phones, belonging to some of the suspected students, to the Central Forensic Sciences Laboratory in Hyderabad for analysis. Two of the phones were physically damaged and third had a pattern lock which the laboratory said it was unable to break.

At earlier stage of the case, the family had demanded polygraph testing but the suspected students had refused to undergo it.

For several months after his mysterious disappearance, students of JNU and human rights activists had been protesting in and outside the campus. More than once, they demonstrated at the headquarters of Delhi Police and CBI.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here