All Crew, Including Indians, on UK-Flagged Tanker in Iran Safe: Officials

This undated photo shows the British oil tanker Stena Impero, which is believed to have been captured by Iran. | Photo Credit: AP

NEW DELHI/KOCHI (Reuters) — All crew members of a British-flagged tanker that Iran seized on Friday are safe and still on the vessel, the Iranian embassy in India said on Monday.

The seizure of the Stena Impero in the Strait of Hormuz – the world’s most important waterway for the oil trade – has deepened a crisis between Tehran and the West that was triggered in May when Washington tightened sanctions, effectively barring all countries from buying Iranian oil.

“All the crew members including the Indian nationals are in good health, they are still on board the tanker,” the embassy told news agency Reuters.

Eighteen of the Stena Impero’s 23-strong crew are Indian nationals, Iranian authorities had said.

The family of one of them — 26-year-old mess worker Dijo Pappachen, who joined the vessel just a month ago — said the company operating the tanker had told them about the sequestration on Friday.

“Neither has Dijo contacted the family nor could we contact him after the tanker was captured,” his tearful father Pappachen TV said in their hometown of Kochi in Kerala.

Britain called on Iran to release the tanker and its crew immediately, describing the seizure as “illegal.”

European countries including Britain have stuck with the nuclear pact that Iran signed with world powers in 2015 since the United States pulled out three years later.
But the pact is now hanging by a thread and Britain was thrust more directly into the confrontation on July 4, when its Royal Marines seized an Iranian tanker, the Grace 1, off the coast of Gibraltar. Britain accused it of violating sanctions against Syria, prompting repeated Iranian threats of retaliation.

Indians on Iranian Tanker

Grace 1 also had Indian crew, who are now in British custody.

The brother of that ship’s junior officer KK Ajmal told Reuters from their hometown in Malappuram in Kerala that they exchanged voice notes via social media on Sunday.

Mohammed Shareef said his 27-year-old brother told him the captain and the engineer were separated from the rest of the crew once British commandos took over the vessel.

Mr Ajmal said he and the other crew were getting food, water and other essentials.

He said the ship was sailing from the port of Fujairah with 300,000 metric tons of crude oil when British commandos forced it to stop and came aboard in 10 helicopters, Mr Shareef quoted his brother as saying.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here