Special Correspondent | Caravan Daily
NEW DELHI/HYDERABAD — Even after 10 years, the victims of Hyderabad’s Makkah Masjid bomb blast have not received justice while the real perpetrators of this heinous crime have been roaming freely and those caught are now being released for want of evidence after the present government came to power at the Center, said rights group the Civil Liberties Monitoring Committee (CLMC). The group said it is a matter of grave concern that terror accused who have been convicted by court are being freed one after another by this government.
It is to recall that on this day, May 18, 2007, during the time of Friday prayers, Hindutva extremists exploded bombs in the historical Makkah Masjid where more than 10,000 people were offering Friday prayers. Immediately after the blasts, police opened indiscriminate firing on the people who were helping the bomb blast victims and on those who had come to search for their relatives.
To rub salt into the wound, a section of Telugu and national electronic media started blaming Muslim organizations for the blast resulting the arrest of hundreds of Muslim youth illegally, tortured, humiliated and later more than 30 were shown arrested under bogus cases.
Civil Monitoring general secretary Mohammed Khan Lateef said, “after the Modi government came to power, the attitude of NIA has changed which has been going soft on Hindutva terrorists”.
The Prosecution has till now failed to establish witnesses testimony in the court and now there is a genuine concern looming large over the possibility of NIA consciously sidelining crucial material evidence during the trial. It clearly reflects that they are working under the pressure of the BJP government.
After his arrest, Swami Assemanand gave a confessional statement before a magistrate in which he revealed that terror attacks were the handiwork of Hindutva network and for this, an atmosphere was created to easily blame Muslims for these attacks.
Lateef Khan said the Makkah Masjid blast and the subsequent police firing had been a triple tragedy for Muslims as first they lost their dear ones, then dozens of Muslim youths were implicated in the blast case and a section of media ran a vitriolic propaganda against them.
Even after 10 years, it remained a big secret that who were the people who gave logistic support for carrying out blasts. It is also a mystery as to why the police opened fire on innocent people who were coming out of the mosque after offering namaz.
The Civil Liberty committee urged the government of India to investigate Makkah Masjid bomb blast case in free and fair manner and bring the culprits to justice.